Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Diary of a Children's Pastor: Entry #1

I'm starting a new series of blogs that tells about my wonderful, surprising, and sometimes overwhelming job of being a Children's Pastor. Here goes nothing!

I just love getting to know the kids in my ministry. I love seeing them in the halls at school, at the mall, or at Wal-mart and they come up to me and say hi! That's my favorite part! I enjoy being a part of their lives not just at church. I'm finally getting to the point in my ministry where I can look over at what I am doing and I can correct what needs to be corrected or improve what needs to be improved. I'm also, surprisingly, learning most of their names. The key word being most. This last Sunday I was blown away by the eagerness of my 5th and 6th graders to help me out wherever I need it. I had person after person come up and say, "What can I do to help?" I just feel so blessed to have kids who are so willing to serve, and I want that attitude to stick with them as they grow up. I'm learning so much about what my role is in these kids' lives. I'm not just supposed to tell them how to live, I need to develop a relationship with them and support them in the lessons they go through in life. Kids need to experience a life lesson to truely understand what lesson is to be learned. In my own life I need to set the example to them of how to be a light in a dark world. How can I tell them to read their bible every day if I don't? How can I tell them to make the right choices in life if I don't?This is what God has been saying to me lately, so I think I'm probably learning a lot more than my kids are on Sunday mornings! Well, that's it for today. Stay tuned for entry #2. I know you are all on the edge of your seat!Hey, check out my link to KidMo, the program I'm using in KidZone!
http://www.kidmo.com/shop/clip.aspx?series=kidmo&productid=10122

3 comments:

Mommy pfohl said...

I look forward to your entries!

Kris Sorensen said...

I'm so glad you are a part of FFC; you're doing a great job!

Mommy pfohl said...

By the way... heads up! Don't click on Pastor Tonya's link at 4 a.m. when it is really quiet... IT'S SCARY!!! I almost jumped out of my skin because I DID NOT expect sound! =)