Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Nothing is ever wasted on Jesus

I was reading in Mark chapter 14 about the woman who annointed Jesus with some really extravagant perfume that I'm sure cost quite a bit. The disciples were appalled that she would waste that expensive perfume on Jesus when she could have sold it and given to the poor. What Jesus says next is very critical to the Christian life and it made me really think about my own life. He says, "She has done a beautful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you and you can help them any time you want. But you will not always have me. She did what she could." God takes the time and gifts we give him very seriously and it is extremely important to him. When I give even five minutes to God, He treasures them because I am focusing on Him and nothing else. If five minutes of my time is important to Him, why can't I give him an hour? Is it really that much out of my day to give him one hour just for Him? My human mind gets so wrapped up in my life that I convince myself that I can only spare God five minutes of my day! How absurd this sounds when Jesus tells his disciples that what the woman did was "beautiful". I want what I do for God to be beautiful and selfless in his sight. That is my goal for this new year.

2 comments:

Shelby-Grace said...

That's a great goal and one I need to work on too!

Keym said...

What a fantastic goal. I too like you and Tammy need to work on this. I just let life get in the way. How very silly.