Friday, May 2, 2008

Seeing Orange



What a great week! James and I had the opportunity to attend the Orange Conference in Atlanta and we stayed right in the middle of the city as you can see by the view from our window. The main focus of the conference was to rethink ministry and to step out of the "church" box. Every session was "uncensored" becuase most of the speakers said what was on their hearts without worrying about what we might think or who it would offend. It was so refreshing. Time after time the speakers, worship leaders, and mc's focused on God and not on glory for themselves. Francis Chan was incredible in the way he showed us his passion for everything God. Louie Giglio was so real and talked about churches that are so far on the side of cultural relevance that they lose sight of the simple fact that people need God. He said one statement that really got me thinking, he said "God is our culture!" As Christians we need to live for God not for the lastest gadget or movie to come out. People need God more than they need the lastest thought on God. I really loved that. God is our culture, he is what we are living for, he gives us life, he loves us. What more do we need to tell people? James and I came away from the conference with a refreshing look at ministry and some great ideas. I think it was a successful trip! If you ever have a chance to read a book or listen to a talk by Francis Chan or Louie Giglio or even Andy Stanley take that opportunity! You won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

Kris Sorensen said...

Welcome back home. I'm looking forward to hearing more details about your conference and experience in Georgia.

Shelby-Grace said...

Ok, so I'll admit it, I'm a little jealous that you got to hear Louie Giglio live and in person! I have only heard him via the web or on a podcast! He has influenced my life a great deal and has challenged the way I live my life for Christ! So glad you two had a great time and can come back excited to serve Him in your ministries!