Thursday, February 21, 2008

Learning about Ruby Bridges


We took the family to the Children's Museum in Indianapolis last Friday. We went to our usual place first, the Dinosphere, Lucas' absolute favorite. After that we went over to show Lucas and James the Science level, where the water and tunnels are. I forgot to tell you EVERYONE was at the Children's Museum. It was people elbow to elbow, we could hardly get to the area we wanted to. On the way to the Science level, Sidney and I saw a new part of the museum about children in history who led inspirational lives and stood up for what they believed in. Sidney loves history and so we left James and Lucas with ALL those people and went down to look around. We saw all kinds of displays, memorabilia, and pictures of Anne Frank, Ryan White (the boy who had contracted AIDS from a blood transfusion), and Ruby Bridges. We decided to sit in on the play about Ruby Bridges. They had it in a room that had been converted to look just like the classroom Ruby had 55 years ago. She was one of the first black girls to attend an all white school and she did it alone without any other black children. An actor who played one of Ruby's bodygaurds did a one man performance of his view of that day Ruby walked into the school for the first time. He was really believable and it was so enjoyable to watch. The part of the story that almost made me cry was when he was talking about being one of the four guards who walked Ruby into school. People were lined up and down the street and on the school grounds yelling hateful insults at Ruby and holding crosses to say that it was God's will that blacks and whites should be seperated. At one point a woman held a homemade coffin with a black baby doll in it. Very horrible. Remember that Ruby was only in Grade School, so she wasn't very old. Anyway, the gaurd said he heard Ruby mumbling so he got closer and realized she was praying. She was praying for God to help the people outside yelling at her. Wow! What a great example of being Christ-like. I was so impressed that the actor added this to his presentation. If you are ever at the children's museum, you have to see this. It reminded me of how hate can get into your heart and make you do some unbelievable things. I'm sure they were just like the people chanting and yelling at Jesus on his way to the cross. Ruby's faith is such an awesome testimony. She must have been scared to death, but she was still concerned for the hearts of the people who hated her. I can't wait to go back and see the other presentations on Anne Frank and Ryan White.

4 comments:

Tucker said...

That sounds great TJ. I would love to see it. Did you know that a great great great great, 4 0r 5 greats grandfather of yours "Ebenezer Tucker" who lived not far from where you live now, ( I think it was close to Westfield, IN,)opened his home to slaves and over several years helped thousands of slaves to freedom.
You might look up his name in the Indianapolis newspaper archives. I remember seeing a newspaper article from Indianapolis that featured him and his life. I think that was around 30 years ago.

God'sProp777 said...

Our 6th graders do quite a bit during Black History Month which is every Feb. and one thing we do is watch the Disney movie about Ruby Bridges. She is a great example to all of us and it's children like this that God uses to remind us how much he can do for us if we are willing to trust Him. I would've loved to have seen it.

Mommy pfohl said...

When the scripture says "And a little child shall lead them..." I think Ruby's story is what that scripture is all about. If only I could have that child like heart of innocense!

Keym said...

Wow I got tears in my eyes and to make it worse I was listening to Norah Jones "Come away with me" It is amazing to me that Ruby was praying at a time like that! At her age I would have been terrified, passed out and peed my pants! It is such an inspiration that no matter what demons we are facing we can find comfort in turning to God. I love that the example came from a brave little girl.